What does multifocal mean?

Pathologists use the word multifocal to describe something seen in more than one part of a tissue sample. Multifocal changes can be seen when the tissue is examined by eye (this is called the gross examination) or under the microscope.

Similar words include focal and diffuse.

A+ A A-

Did you find this article helpful?